This course has very specific in it’s intentions. The Quickstart is meant to give you enough knowledge to descend canyons with very short rappels like Orderville and Subway. It is a very efficient introduction into what the world of canyoneering has to offer, but in no way is intended to be a substitute for our Basic One Day Course. These are the first baby steps to learning the necessary skills to descend a technical canyon.
If you desire to be a proficient canyoneer and do longer and more difficult canyoneering routes in the future, you should consider either the Canyoneering 1 Day Basic or the Canyoneering Intermediate 3 Day Course.
This course includes all of the essentials: planning, rope management, anchor evaluation, rappelling, safety issues and concerns. The curriculum of this course is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge to descend a select few of Zion National Park’s entry level canyons.
- In house curriculum
- Rappeling practice
- Downclimbing rock faces and chimneys
- Discussion of appropriate canyons
- Self-guided trip (Keyhole, Orderville or Subway)
- TECHNICAL GEAR required for the trip will be provided.
- PERSONAL GEAR you must bring:
- FOOTWEAR (running shoes are sufficient). We supply footwear if there is a chance of getting wet.
- HIKING CLOTHING (nylon shorts, pants & shirts) they dry fast and do not wick warmth away from the body like cotton.
- FOOD AND WATER (snack foods, lunch & at least 100oz of H2O/person)
- SUN HAT
- SMALL DAY PACK
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE MORNING
- Please park your vehicle behind our shop.
- Bring all of the above personal items into the shop with you.
- Your guide will explain outfitting and how to pack your gear.
When to Meet
Times fluctuate a bit according to the season. All trips are Mountain Time! We can not stress this enough.
- Winter- (check with us)
- Spring (March/May)-8:00am
- Summer (June-September)-7:00am
Where to Meet
- ZRMG: 1458 Zion Park Blvd Springdale, UT 84767 (we are between the Best Western and the Chevron Station) on the west side of the road.
- When we can, we provide transportation to and from the activities locations.
- We reserve the right to occasionally have clients drive themselves to and from the location.
- We appreciate your understanding.
- What are the Prerequisites
- You need to be at our Canyoneering Intermediate level or equivalent
- If you have questions regarding your experience please call to discuss.
- Why don’t you guys teach this course in slot canyons?
- Some of the instruction needs to take place where we can do multiple repetitions without worry of hazardous weather or holding up other groups.
- Can we shcedule a private course for our group?
- Yes. We can schedule a private trip at any time for your group.
- Does ZRMG offer this course for just one person?
- Yes the price is $265 per day for three days.
- How physically fit do I need to be?
- Fitness helps! – canyoneering requires decent fitness as most canyons require hiking and scrambling and occasional swimming in addition to rappelling.
- Canyons routinely require long hikes, scrambling, and swims. Stemming and chimneying are also common.
- How young or old can you be to participate?
- We really don’t have age limits as everyone is different. It’s kind of a case by case basis. Let us know if you have specific concerns.
- Do you provide transportation?
- As much as possible we try to provide transportation. We reserve the right to at times ask clients to drive their vehicle to the activities location.