Zion Canyoneering Advanced 3 Day
ZION CANYONEERING COURSES
This three day course has been developed to complete your skills as a technical canyoneer and to propel you to the status of canyon leader. The practical experience that you gain during this course will give you the confidence and know-how to deal with virtually any canyon situation to the 4 B VI level.
- Multiple Station Rappels and Ascents
- Marginal Anchor Construction
- Bolt Placement
- Contingency Anchors
- Retrievable Anchors
- Aid Climbing
- Guiding Lines
- Tracking Lines
- Raising Systems & Mechanical Advantage
- Tensioning Systems
- Leadership Skills
- Risk Management
- Day 1
- Class room instruction (pulley systems) and review
- Field exercises for multi-station rappelling and ascending
- Day 2
- Anchoring Work Shop
- Aid Climbing-Pothole Escapes
- Guiding Lines-Tracking Lines-Directionals
- Tensioning Systems
- Day 3
- Rescue Skills
- Raising Systems
- Lowering Systems
- Practical Scenarios
- TECHNICAL GEAR required for the trip will be provided.
- PERSONAL GEAR you must bring:
- FOOTWEAR (running shoes are sufficient). We supply footwear if there is a chance of getting wet.
- HIKING CLOTHING (nylon shorts, pants & shirts) they dry fast and do not wick warmth away from the body like cotton.
- FOOD AND WATER (snack foods, lunch & at least 100oz of H2O/person)
- SUN HAT
- SMALL DAY PACK
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE MORNING
- Please park your vehicle behind our shop.
- Bring all of the above personal items into the shop with you.
- Your guide will explain outfitting and how to pack your gear.
When to Meet
Times fluctuate a bit according to the season. All trips are Mountain Time! We can not stress this enough.
- Winter- (check with us)
- Spring (March/May)-8:00am
- Summer (June-September)-7:00am
Where to Meet
- ZRMG: 1458 Zion Park Blvd Springdale, UT 84767 (we are between the Best Western and the Chevron Station) on the west side of the road.
- When we can, we provide transportation to and from the activities locations.
- We reserve the right to occasionally have clients drive themselves to and from the location.
- We appreciate your understanding.
- What are the Prerequisites
- You need to be at our Canyoneering Intermediate level or equivalent
- If you have questions regarding your experience please call to discuss.
- Why don’t you guys teach this course in slot canyons?
- Some of the instruction needs to take place where we can do multiple repetitions without worry of hazardous weather or holding up other groups.
- Can we shcedule a private course for our group?
- Yes. We can schedule a private trip at any time for your group.
- Does ZRMG offer this course for just one person?
- Yes the price is $265 per day for three days.
- How physically fit do I need to be?
- Fitness helps! – canyoneering requires decent fitness as most canyons require hiking and scrambling and occasional swimming in addition to rappelling.
- Canyons routinely require long hikes, scrambling, and swims. Stemming and chimneying are also common.
- How young or old can you be to participate?
- We really don’t have age limits as everyone is different. It’s kind of a case by case basis. Let us know if you have specific concerns.
- Do you provide transportation?
- As much as possible we try to provide transportation. We reserve the right to at times ask clients to drive their vehicle to the activities location.