Zion Canyoneering Intermediate 3 Day
ZION CANYONEERING COURSES
Welcome to our Zion Canyoneering Intermediate Three Day Course. This course is very similar in content to our one day Zion Canyoneering Basic Course. However with this course you will be afforded the opportunity to practice your new skills and decision making abilities in real slot canyon environments under the supervision of an instructor.
With our 3 Day Starter Course – curriculum has been added and the additional two days will be filled with practical experiences that are designed to give you the confidence to enjoy up to 3B canyons on your own.
**We are offering a Group Course on August 13, 14, 15, 2012. Please give us a call to sign up!**
- Canyoneering Basic curriculum
- Planning and Canyoneering Logistics
- Basic Knots
- Personal Setup
- Anchor Building and Assessment (Evaluating)
- Rope Management
- Descent Techniques
- Basic Self Rescue Skills
- Gear Requirements
- Plus the following:
- Knots and Hitches (additional)
- Additional Anchor Instruction
- Descending alternatives
- Ascending Methods
- Lowering Systems
- Climbing Skills
- Self Rescue Skills
- Group Movement
- Objective Dangers
- Descending and rappelling practice
- Ascending paractice
- Downclimbing rock faces and chimneys
- Discussion of risk assessment and decision making
- Discussion of appropriate canyons
- Technical gear required for the trip will be provided.
- Personal Gear you must bring:
- Footwear (running shoes are sufficient). We supply footwear if there is a chance of getting wet.
- Hiking Clothing (nylon shorts, pants & shirts) they dry fast and do not wick warmth away from the body like cotton.
- Food and Water (snack foods & at least 100oz of H2O/person)
- Sun hat
What to expect in the morning
- Please park your vehicle behind our shop.
- Bring all of the above personal items into the shop with you. Do not worry about packing them in your own pack.
- Your guide will explain outfitting and how to pack your gear.
When to Meet
Times fluctuate a bit according to the season. All trips are Mountain Time! We can not stress this enough.
- Winter- (check with us)
- Spring (March/May)-8:00am
- Summer (June-September)-7:00am
Where to Meet
- ZRMG: 1458 Zion Park Blvd Springdale, UT 84767 (we are between the Best Western and the Chevron Station) on the west side of the road.
- When we can, we provide transportation to and from the activities locations.
- We reserve the right to occasionally have clients drive themselves to and from the location.
- We appreciate your understanding.
- What are the Prerequisites
- You need to be at our Canyoneering Intermediate level or equivalent
- If you have questions regarding your experience please call to discuss.
- Why don’t you guys teach this course in slot canyons?
- Some of the instruction needs to take place where we can do multiple repetitions without worry of hazardous weather or holding up other groups.
- Can we shcedule a private course for our group?
- Yes. We can schedule a private trip at any time for your group.
- Does ZRMG offer this course for just one person?
- Yes the price is $265 per day for three days.
- How physically fit do I need to be?
- Fitness helps! – canyoneering requires decent fitness as most canyons require hiking and scrambling and occasional swimming in addition to rappelling.
- Canyons routinely require long hikes, scrambling, and swims. Stemming and chimneying are also common.
- How young or old can you be to participate?
- We really don’t have age limits as everyone is different. It’s kind of a case by case basis. Let us know if you have specific concerns.
- Do you provide transportation?
- As much as possible we try to provide transportation. We reserve the right to at times ask clients to drive their vehicle to the activities location.